Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What??

Okay so I've grown used to changing the channel when pregnancy test commercials run. In fact, this is not normally even a problem these days thanks to my lovely DVR... I rarely watch any commercials at all! About 10 minutes ago though, I turned on the TV and it was showing a biography of Friends. I loved that show and quickly was sucked in listening to how the casting went. I decided to watch *gasp* live television.

My hands were full during the commercial break (currently crocheting an afgan for a long over-due wedding present) so I was unable to mute/change the channel when First Response popped up. *ugh* I thought... But I'll just grin & bear it. Then I heard them saying these words "Can I get pregnant? Here's the first ever test for FERTILITY" (my emphasis, not theirs.)

WTF??? I ran to the computer and looked it up and apparently it is true! Except (as the NY Times points out) it only measures FSH levels. So I, along with many other infertiles here, would actually pass this test. (Hey, I just realized... There's a pee stick that I could actually get a positive on! HA! The irony is killing me.)

I'm truly flabbergasted. I don't even know what else to say... Just when I thought pee sticks couldn't get more heartbreaking...

9 comments:

  1. I saw that yesterday too while on bed rest and thought, WTH?? What could it possibly tell you? If you haven't been to a doctor would you really even know what FSH is telling you?

    I hope that gets pulled soon because there are going to be a lot of freaked out people trying that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, because a pee stick can TOTALLY tell if you have: Endometriosis, PCOS, blocked fallopian tubes, clotting disorders, male factor infertility, etc. etc. ad nauseum.

    It's funny, because I'd probably pass their little test as well. But oh, wait, I don't have a uterus in which to grow a baby. "But the pee stick told me I could get pregnant! I don't understand!"

    I've seen this ad at least a dozen times. It's disgusting.

    Wishing you the GREATEST of luck during your ER tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that too! I considered getting one but then I punched myself in the face instead ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, that thing is so stupid! We've been teaching to the test so long, testophilia (not to be confused with testephilia) has even expanded into the adult world. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment today, I appreciated it.

    And where's that test? I'm going to buy it, so I can see 2 darn lines on something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw that in the drugstore. It was right next to the test to predict the gender of your unborn child. Seriously??

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know, the first time I saw that on TV I thought, "Oh, now if I had done THAT test, I would've wasted how much more time thinking everything was ok when it's not."

    I hope your ER went well today, and you are resting comfortably now.

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Luckily I've never seen that commercial...I might have thrown something at the TV. What stupid idiots!

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete